DIY: CROSS-STITCH STOOL
November 13, 2012
This incredibly cute and unique birch stool is a simple and fun DIY project. Follow the guide below to find out how you can turn a simple IKEA stool into a fun piece of art. Completely customizable to your own liking!
WHAT YOU NEED:
– stool (e.g. IKEA’s FROSTA stool)
– masking tape
– acrylic paint
– power drill + 1/4 drill bit for wood
– wool in 4 different colors
– large-eye needle that will fit your wool
– paper and a printer
WHAT YOU DO:
1. Print out this cross-stitch flower pattern (you can click on the link to view then print, or right click to save the file to your computer).
2. Tape the pattern to the top part of the stool so it won’t move. Using a push pin or other needle through the paper, mark each corner of the Xs on the pattern – it will show you where you have to drill holes.
3. Drill holes with your power drill where you made the tiny marks. As you’re drilling, make sure to avoid any screws that are already in the stool to hold the legs. Do so by drilling sideways into the wood whenever a hole is meant to be direcly above a screw. Dust off the stool so that it’s clean for the painting part.
4. Use masking tape to cover that sides of the leg that aren’t going to be painted.
5. Paint the edges of the legs and the top part. Let dry. Add as many coats of paint as necessary until you are happy with the result.
6. Varnish the painted areas.
7. Let the stool dry for a few hours. Once it is completely dry, thread your needle with the wool and start cross-stitching your way through the flower pattern. If you have never cross-stitched before, you’ll see, it’s easy – just find a tutorial on youtube!
8. You’re done!
PS: If you like this stool but drilling holes ain’t your thing, you can just paint the cross-stitch flower on your stool instead. Super easy and you’ll get a very similar look!